Very interesting presentation of transmission of pharyngeal Gonnorhoea.
Take home points:
- Not likely to be transmitted penis -> throat / throat -> penis as commonly thought.
- Likley transmission mechanism is via saliva. Deep kissing and use of saliva as lube
- Pharyngeal Gonorrhoea may be more prevalent in younger age groups due to higher levels of kissing
- Worth rendering to ensure swab of throat even if clients report no oral sex
- ?could anallingus be a mode of rectal transmission?
- Daily antibacterial gargle may greatly reduce load of pharyngeal Gonorrhoea