ASHM Report Back
Clinical posts from members and guests of the Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM) from various international medical and scientific conferences on HIV, AIDS, viral hepatitis, and sexual health.
Sexual Health Day 2 Pharyngeal Gonorrhoea
Very interesting presentation of transmission of pharyngeal Gonnorhoea.
Take home points:
- Not likely to be transmitted penis -> throat / throat -> penis as commonly thought.
- Likley transmission mechanism is via saliva. Deep kissing and use of saliva as lube
- Pharyngeal Gonorrhoea may be more prevalent in younger age groups due to higher levels of kissing
- Worth rendering to ensure swab of throat even if clients report no oral sex
- ?could anallingus be a mode of rectal transmission?
- Daily antibacterial gargle may greatly reduce load of pharyngeal Gonorrhoea